My Guide Website?
Leigh: Goat Island Guided Snorkeling Tour for Beginners12 Reviews
Take part in an introduction to exploring the ocean that even non-swimmers can join. Snorkel at Goat Island in the company of a passionate instructor.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Enjoy an introduction to snorkeling for beginners
- Marvel at beautiful fish and marine life in shallow waters
- Feel safe in the company of your expert instructor
- Learn the basics of snorkeling in the ocean
DescriptionBegin your tour by meeting the team at the Goat Island Dive and Snorkel Center. Here, your friendly staff will get you kitted up with a mask, snorkel, fins, and a wetsuit. You will then drive in your own vehicle 2 miles (3km) to the Goat Island Marine Reserve, where you will meet with your snorkel instructor. Learn about the history of Goat Island and the marine life you are likely to meet at New Zealand's first marine reserve. The experience starts with an introduction to using the equipment and some snorkeling and swimming techniques. Before jumping in you'll receive a full, thorough safety briefing. Everyone will make their way to the water. The group will stay in shallow waters while getting used to the equipment and the strange sensation of breathing while looking around underwater. Once everyone is feeling confident and comfortable, the group will make their way out to sea to continue the adventure. After the tour, you will be able to use the equipment for the remainder of the day to carry on exploring at your own pace. You will be part of a natural aquarium, with many varieties of colorful fish and marine life including Blue Maomao, Snapper, Eagle and Sting Rays, Blue Cod, Octopus, Kahawai, as well as Crayfish. Sometimes Dolphins or Orca visit the reserve and will often play with the snorkelers.
IncludesSafety briefing Guided snorkeling tour Use of all equipment during the tour Use of snorkel equipment for the rest of the day
- This beginners tour has been specially tailored for people who are new to swimming or being in the ocean. The hope for people taking part is to get their confidence up so they can explore on their own. Special safety equipment is used to keep you afloat, which allows you to move naturally in the water • This is a self-drive experience