My Guide Website?
From Auckland: Hobbiton & Waitomo Caves Day Trip with Lunch1010 Reviews
Set off on an adventure from Auckland to see New Zealand's two most famous attractions in one day: the Hobbiton Movie Set and the Waitomo Glowworm Caves.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Auckland: Ship to Shore Half-Day Excursion
- Waiheke Island: Ferry & Hop-On Hop-Off Explorer Bus Tickets
- America’s Cup 2-Hour Sailing Experience Waitemata Harbour
- Waitakere Ranges Wilderness Experience Tour from Auckland
- Auckland City Small Group Morning Discovery Tour
- Feel nostalgic as you step inside the world of Middle-earth at The Shire
- Marvel at glowworms while sailing in the world-famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Sip on a refreshing, specially brewed beverage at The Green Dragon Inn
- Experience a sense of movie magic as you explore Hobbiton and take pictures
- Admire the scenery en route and listen to insightful commentary from your guide
DescriptionJoin this tour to visit two of New Zealand's most iconic and famous attractions, the Hobbiton Movie Set and the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, on a day trip from Auckland. After pickup from your central Auckland hotel, travel south over the Bombay Hills for panoramic views of the Waikato Region and the scenic Hauraki Plains. Arrive at The Shire's Rest in Matamata, the home of the Hobbiton Movie Set. Your guide will help you skip the crowds so you can explore the Movie Set on an official 2.5 hour tour including the fully themed Hobbit Hole on Bagshot Row. Be escorted through the 10-acre site and learn fascinating details of how the Hobbiton Movie Set was created. See Hobbit Holes, The Green Dragon Inn, and The Mill. Savor a complimentary specially-brewed beverage at The Green Dragon Inn. Afterward, travel to the mesmerizing Waitomo Glowworm Caves, where you'll enjoy a light Kiwi-style lunch at The Homestead in Waitomo. On the way, share stories from Hobbiton and interact with your fellow travelers. Glide silently by boat in the world-famous caves and be amazed by the thousands of magical glowworms. Your guide will likely be a descendant of the Maori Chief who originally explored the Caves and can share with you the remarkable history of the area. Walk through the majestic Cathedral Cave, famous for its acoustics. The return trip takes you through some of New Zealand's most beautiful countryside before following the majestic Waikato River northwards part of the way back to Auckland. You will pass Taupiri with its very sacred Maori burial ground. The day concludes with your return to your accommodation.
IncludesHotel pick-up and drop off (downtown Auckland hotels only) Transportation Local driver-guide Entry to Hobbiton Movie set Guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set 1 complimentary drink at The Green Dragon Inn Light Kiwi-style cafe lunch Entry to Waitomo Glowworm Caves 45-minute guided tour of Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Note that hotel pick-ups operate from Downtown Auckland CBD only . Those staying near the airport or in South Auckland- we have 1 pick up location in that area
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of easy walking is involved
- The tour operates in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
- This is a small group activity with a maximum of up to 16 participants and requires a minimum of 2 participants to operate