New Zealand Immigration
New Zealand Visa Requirements
Visiting New Zealand - Visa Requirements
To visit New Zealand your passport must be valid for 3 months after the date that you intend to leave. You also need to have an onward/return ticket to a country where you’ve permission to enter.
If you plan to visit New Zealand for a short period, you must request an NZeTA before you travel if you:
- travel on a passport from a country on the list of visa waiver countries and territories
- leave for New Zealand on or after 1 October 2019, and
- are visiting for up to 3 months — or, if you are a British citizen, up to 6 months.
- are a New Zealand citizen travelling on:
- a New Zealand passport, or
- a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement
- are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
- hold a valid visa for New Zealand — including a Permanent Resident Visa
International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy
You also need to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) at the same time as your NZeTA. This costs NZD $35.
New Zealand Immigration - Types Of Visa
For all types of visa whether you are wanting to work permanently or, on a working holiday, to study, invest, live permanentl or bring family, visit the NZ Immigration website visa section.
Working temporarily in NZ - the criteria to apply includes:
- A person between 18 and 30 wanting a working holiday - Working Holiday Category
- A person with a job offer - Essential Skills Category
- A young, skilled person looking for skilled work - Silver Fern Categories
- A person coming to NZ for a specific event (e.g. tournament) - Specific Purpose or Event Category
- A person joining a partner who is already in NZ - Family Stream Category
- A student or a trainee - Student and Trainee Category
- A student looking for work after completing their studies in NZ - Student to Work Category
- China Special Work Category - aimed at Chinese nationals who are qualified as traditional Chinese medicine practitioners, chefs, Mandarin teachers’ aides, wushu martial arts coaches or tour guides.
- China Skilled Workers Category - limited amount of visa that last for 3 years in speicifed occupations.
Working and living in NZ permanently - the criteria to apply includes:
- A skilled worker who meet a points threshold (140) will be automatically picked from the 'pool of applicants' every two weeks and be invited to apply for a visa. After 140 points, the next highest points are picked out.Skilled Migrant Category.
- A person already already on a 'Work to Residence visa' and who now wants to apply for permanent residence - Work to Residence Category
- A person who wants to move to New Zealand to be with their partner - Family Partnership Category
Already in New Zealand
- If you are already in New Zealand and are wishing to change your visa (e.g. apply for a permanent residency visa) there are a number of different entry paths. Keep up to date with the latest information on this page of the NZ Immigration website.