Relaxing at Orewa Beach, North Shore
A guide to visiting the Orewa beach in Auckland's North shore.
Book Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Auckland: Virtual Reality Gaming Experience
- Auckland Harbour 1.5-Hour Sailing Cruise
- Auckland City Small Group Morning Discovery Tour
- Leigh: Goat Island Guided Snorkeling Tour for Beginners
- Auckland: Full-Day City Highlights Tour
Orewa beach is located just 40 km north of Auckland and usually takes 30 to 40 minutes drive from the city centre via the Northern Motorway and Hibiscus Coast Road.
The beach length is approximately 3km long and is suitable for short and long walks. Being very flat and clean, Orewa is ideal for kids to run and play safely, dog walks, swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, and much more.
Alternatively, there are bright green grass-covered areas close to the beach. On the other hand, if you prefer a spot of shopping the compact town features a number of shops, markets, cafes and restaurants.
Moving forward towards the end of the beach, you can find a perfect spot for learning how to surf. Friendly staff from Orewa Surf Club will be on hand. The club has an amazing ocean view and a very spacious car park. It also includes a nice place to eat and drink and offers a perfect spot to finish your day.
- Getting there - take Northern Motorway, and turn off on Hibiscus Coast Road.
- Avoid using motorways between 7.30am and 9.30am and 4.30 to 6.30pm if possible due to a heavy traffic.
- The bus stop is in Low Albert Street, close to Queen Street. The bus number is NX1. The bus will take you to Hibiscus Coast Station where you will catch a bus #981 going towards Orewa. Altogether it takes 60 - 90 minutes.
- Check the Metservice website for tides.
- All walking tracks are safely marked.
- Dogs are allowed on Orewa beach.
Photos by Maja Krstic.