Western Springs Park and Lake Near Auckland Zoo
A hidden spot not to be missed if you are visiting the Auckland Zoo or Motat
Book Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- America’s Cup 2-Hour Sailing Experience Waitemata Harbour
- The Inside Loop: See Auckland's Most Vibrant Neighbourhoods
- From Auckland: Waiheke Island Wineries' Tour
- Auckland: Half-Day Scenic Sightseeing Tour
- Auckland: Waiheke Island Fast Ferry Pass
The main source of the water that feeds the lake at Western Springs is rain falling on the slopes of the volcanoes - Mount Albert and the very popular Mount Eden. The water runs underground for several miles through the lava flows and emerges from the ground at a constant rate that is well filtered by the miles of scoria rocks.
The lake makes up the majority of the park and it is surrounded by a safe 1.8 km easy walking track. It takes around half an hour to complete the route while enjoying native trees and animal wildlife. Some of the trees are super high and make a great sunshade and include willow trees, kapuka trees and cabbage trees.
Walking in the park typically means encountering mallard ducks, domestic geese, pukeko, pied shag, and New Zealand scaup. You should also see the black swans that originated from Australia.
- Free Entrance
- Only 4 km from downtown Auckland
- Bus number 133 available from 58 Hobson Street
- Car Park available next to the park
- Kids friendly Playground available
- Great for family time, picnics and relaxing
- Dogs not allowed
- Smoke-free and alcohol-free parks
- Don't feed the birds
- Stop by if you are visiting M.O.T.A.T. (the Museum of Transport and Technology), Auckland Zoo, or heading towards West Auckland beaches.
- Bring a few layers of comfortable clothes just in case
Photos by Maja Krstic.