Top Things To Know Before Visiting The Auckland Skytower
Book Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Auckland: Ship to Shore Half-Day Excursion
- Auckland City Small Group Morning Discovery Tour
- America’s Cup 2-Hour Sailing Experience Waitemata Harbour
- Auckland: Waiheke Island Fast Ferry Pass
- Waitakere Ranges Wilderness Experience Tour from Auckland
Located in the heart of Auckland, the Auckland Skytower is one of the city's most iconic landmarks. The tower's completion marked a milestone in the city's history, signifying its progress and ambition on the global stage.
With its towering presence and breathtaking views, it's no wonder that visitors from around the world flock to this must-see attraction. Before you embark on your journey to the Auckland Skytower, here are some top things to know to make the most of your visit.
About The Auckland Skytower
The Auckland Skytower was completed in 1997 and stands at an impressive height of 328 meters, making it the tallest freestanding structure in the Southern Hemisphere. Not only is it an architectural marvel, but it also plays a significant role in Auckland's skyline.
The Auckland Skytower is more than just a towering structure; it is a symbol of the city's progress and ambition. Rising high above the bustling streets, it stands as a testament to human ingenuity and engineering prowess. The exterior of the tower is adorned with sleek lines and modern aesthetics, making it a visual masterpiece. The use of glass and steel in its construction creates a sense of transparency and lightness, adding to its overall elegance.
History of the Auckland Skytower
The tower's construction was a major undertaking, and it involved a team of skilled engineers and builders working tirelessly to bring this awe-inspiring structure to life. As you explore the different levels of the Skytower, you'll come across displays and exhibits that provide an insight into its construction and the impact it has had on the city. These exhibits showcase the dedication and hard work put into the tower's creation, giving visitors a deeper appreciation for the monumental effort that went into its construction.
Activities at The Skytower:
Here's what you can expect during your visit…
Take in the awe-inspiring views of Auckland from the observation decks, admire the impressive glass floor panels that offer a thrilling perspective, and learn about the tower's history through interactive displays and exhibits.
The Sky Tower has 3 viewing areas available:
- Sky Deck - the highest viewing platform at 220 metres and located on Level 60.
- The Main Observation Deck - 186 metres above street level and located on Level 51.
- The Sky Café - located on Level 50 and boasting full bar and dining options.
SkyJump & Skywalk
Thrill seekers can either walk around the outside of the tower at a height of 192 metres or jump from the same height attached to a wire line.
- The SkyJump is a bit like Base Jumping except you've the added comfort of being attached to a wire! Travelling at approximately 85kph for around 11 seconds you'll breathe a sigh of relief as you come to a very smooth landing in the Sky City plaza below.
- The Skywalk allows you to take a walk on the 1.2 metre-wide walkway wrapped around Auckland's famous Sky Tower. No handrails,192 metres up in the air, and nothing but air on either side of you.
Dining at the Skytower
The Auckland Skytower offers a range of dining options that will tantalize your taste buds. Whether you're craving a romantic dinner overlooking the city lights or a quick bite to refuel after a day of exploration, you'll find a variety of exceptional restaurants and cafes to choose from.
- The Sky Cafe, Sugar Club and 360 Orbit restaurants offer a choice of dining experiences all with a spectacular view.
- For coffee, cheeboards and ice cream head to the Sky Cafe.
- Sample cocktails and dining at the Sugar Club.
- The Orbit restaurant rotates once every hour offering diners a beautiful view without ever having to leave their table. The restaurant serves an a la carte menu with local and seasonal produce.
SKYCITY Casino features two different casino levels, over 100 gaming machines and 150 tables, bars and live entertainment.
Explore the Skytower's well-stocked gift shop, where you'll find a diverse range of souvenirs, trinkets, and unique New Zealand-made products. Take your time to browse and find that perfect keepsake to remind you of your visit.
Best Time to Visit the Skytower?
While the tower is open throughout the year, certain times offer more favorable conditions. Consider visiting during the early morning or late evening to avoid large crowds and enjoy a more serene atmosphere. Additionally, try to plan your visit on a clear day to maximize the breathtaking views of the city and beyond.
Ticketing and Pricing
Tickets can be purchased online in advance or at the tower's entrance. It's worth noting that special rates may apply for children, seniors, and students, so be sure to inquire about any discounts that may be available to you.
Accessibility for Visitors with Disabilities
The Auckland Skytower is committed to providing an inclusive experience for all visitors, regardless of their physical abilities. The tower is equipped with ramps, elevators, and accessible facilities to ensure that everyone can enjoy its wonders. If you require any special assistance or have specific accessibility concerns, the staff is available to address your needs and make your visit as seamless as possible.