10 Fun Things to Do in Auckland
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Auckland:If youʻre booking your trip to Auckland last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
1. Auckland Art Gallery
If you're an art lover, be sure to spend an afternoon at the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki. This world-class gallery houses an impressive collection of traditional Maori art, contemporary works from local artists, and international masterpieces. You can easily spend hours admiring the art and learning about the history and culture of New Zealand.
2. The Britomart Precinct
One of the best ways to explore the city center is on foot. Take a leisurely stroll through its lively neighborhoods and discover hidden gems like boutique shops, street art, and local cafes. The Britomart is a vibrant and trendy area in the heart of the city. It's a hub of fashion, food, and entertainment, with plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars to explore. You can discover beautifully restored heritage buildings that house some of the city's best boutiques and eateries. Be sure to check out the Britomart Farmers' Market, which takes place every Saturday.
3. Visit the Sky Tower
No trip to Auckland is complete without a visit to the Sky Tower. This iconic landmark offers breathtaking views of the city from its observation deck, which sits 220 meters above the ground. You can see all the way to the Hauraki Gulf and beyond on a clear day. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try the SkyWalk or SkyJump experiences. The SkyWalk is a thrilling walk around the outside of the tower's platform, while the SkyJump is a controlled freefall from the tower's edge. Both experiences are attached to a harness, so you can feel safe while getting your adrenaline fix.
4. Regional Parks
If you're a nature lover, Auckland has plenty to offer. You can explore the city's green spaces, hike up volcanic cones, or take a trip to the coast for beautiful beaches and breathtaking views.
- Mount Eden is an extinct volcanic cone that offers stunning panoramic views of the city. It's an easy hike to the top, with well-marked paths that take you through beautiful parkland. The summit is 196 metres high, and the views from the top are absolutely breathtaking, especially at sunset.
- Cornwall Park is a beautiful green space located just outside the city centre. It's perfect for a relaxing picnic or a leisurely walk, with plenty of grassy areas and a large oak tree forest. The park also has some incredible views of the city skyline and the Hauraki Gulf.
- The Waitakere Ranges Regional Park is a beautiful wilderness area just outside the city. It's known for its beautiful waterfalls, rugged coastline, and stunning rainforest. You can go hiking, take a guided tour, or even go on a zipline adventure through the trees. It's a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse yourself in nature.
- Although Muriwai Regional Park is home to many species of birds, it's the Gannet Colony that attracts the most visitors. Two viewing platforms provide excellent vantage points to observe the gannets in a spectacular coastal location.
For details on all the Auckland parks, check out our 'Auckland Parks' section.
5. Stroll Along Viaduct Harbour
The Viaduct Harbour is a picturesque waterfront area that's perfect for a relaxing stroll. You can take in the views of the marina and the impressive yachts that are moored there. There are also plenty of restaurants, bars, and cafes to choose from, so you can grab a coffee or a bite to eat while enjoying the scenery.
If you're interested in sailing, you can even take a sailing tour from the Viaduct Harbour. You'll get to experience the thrill of sailing on the sparkling waters of the Hauraki Gulf while taking in the stunning views of the Auckland skyline.
6. Auckland Bridge Climb
New Zealand's only bridge climb, your tour guide will shepherd you to the top, on an exhilarating 90-minute walk, where you'll be rewarded with once-in-a-lifetime 360 degree views of this amazing city.
7. SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium
This is a must-visit attraction for kids and adults alike. The aquarium is home to over 30 different species of marine life, including penguins, sharks, and turtles. You can take a guided tour or even sign up for a behind-the-scenes experience with the animals.
8. Rainbow's End Theme Park
Rainbow's End is a popular theme park that's perfect for families. It has over 20 different rides and attractions, including roller coasters, water rides, and a variety of carnival games. There are also plenty of food and drink options available, so you can make a day of it.
9. Auckland War Memorial Museum
The Auckland War Memorial Museum is a must-visit attraction for anyone interested in the history and culture of New Zealand. The museum has an extensive collection of Maori artifacts, as well as exhibits on various aspects of New Zealand history, from the colonial period to World War II.
Enjoy snow sports all year round. Spend a fun family day at New Zealand's only indoor snow resort. Snowplanet offers skiing, snowboarding, tubing, and tobogganing all in one place, and all year round whatever the weather. For visitors who don’t want to ski or snowboard and simply want to have fun, there’s an alpine-village themed Winter Wonderland. Decorated with snow-capped trees, take a thrill ride down the two tubing tracks or slide down in a toboggan.
Extra Activity - Indulge in Auckland's Food Scene
Auckland has a vibrant and diverse food scene, with plenty of local and international restaurants to explore:
- Taste Local Wines on Waiheke Island. Waiheke Island is just a short ferry ride from Auckland, and it's home to some of New Zealand's best wineries. You can take a tour of the vineyards, taste some delicious wines, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. It's a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and indulge in some wine tasting.
- Visit the City Farmers' Market. The City Farmers' Market is a popular weekly event that takes place in the city center on Sundays. You can find a variety of local produce, artisanal food, and crafts here. It's a great way to support local businesses and try some delicious food.
- Dine at Top Restaurants and Cafes. Auckland has plenty of top-notch restaurants and cafes, from fine dining to casual eateries. You can try some delicious local cuisine or explore international flavors. Popular dining districts include the Wynyard Quarter, Viaduct Harbour, Britomart, Ponsonby and Parnell.
- View all the best restaurants in our 'Auckland Restaurants' section.
These are just a few of the many fun things you can do in Auckland. Our Top 20 Auckland Tourist Spots article offers more inspiration on what to see and do. So pack your bags, and get ready for an adventure in the City of Sails!
Save Money With Auckland Experiences:
For the best deals, check our 'Experiences Guide' for a wide choice of activities and attractions to book and visit.