West Coast & Waitakere Ranges Guided Wilderness Walk
Vouchers for West Coast & Waitakere Ranges Guided Wilderness Walk
- Drive through Titirangi (Maori for Fringe of Heaven), the artists’ enclave on the Manukau Harbour
- Visit and admire magnificent views from The Arataki Visitor Centre
- Soak up spectacular ocean vistas along Auckland’s wild West Coast
- Learn about unique indigenous flora and fauna
- Walk next to soaring cliffs, roaring surf and spectacular, volcanic black sand beaches
- See some of the most stunning of all the black sand beaches on Auckland's famous West Coast
- Wander in a native rainforest and see the amazing Kauri Trees
- Take time to relax, nap, or swim
DescriptionJoin a full-day guided wilderness walk along Auckland’s famous West Coast. As you take in the stunning scenery, explore walking trails that are off the beaten tourist track and feel the real essence of New Zealand! Auckland's West Coast and the Waitakere Ranges are famous for their amazing scenery, black sand beaches, and subtropical rainforest showcasing some very special native Flora and Fauna. Your highly-qualified guide, who knows these ranges extremely well, will take you to some of the most spectacular parts of the region and introduce you to some real hidden gems. After pick-up from your Auckland city accommodation, you will drive out West, leaving behind beautiful Auckland as you pass through Titirangi, which translates to 'Fringe of Heaven' in the local Maori language. Titirangi has several nice cafes and bakeries in which the locals love to spend time. Then enter the beautiful native rainforest of the Waitakere Ranges, made famous by many movies that have been filmed here. As you drive through lush subtropical rainforest, learn about the local flora and fauna that inhabit these ranges. Briefly stop at the Arataki Visitor Centre, where you will have breath-taking view across part of the Waitakere Ranges, Auckland city and the huge expanses of the Manukau Harbour. There are several very interesting exhibits on display here about current and past inhabitants of the area, some of which you may encounter on your walk deep inside these ranges. Continue on towards the West Coast, where you will go on a walking trail that winds through the forest with many indigenous plants, many of which are very special and which your guide will show you - including New Zealand's national icon, the famous Silver Fern. Many native plants were used extensively by Maori for medicinal purposes, and you will learn which ones were the most useful. Equally famous are New Zealand's Pohutukawa trees, also referred to as NZ Christmas trees, which bloom in bright crimson-red colors around Christmas time. You will also see mighty Kauri trees that tower over these ranges, plus breath-taking viewpoints over the Tasman Sea, which separates New Zealand from Australia. Stop for lunch at a scenic location, then continue your walk through the subtropical rainforest and along the coast to one of our most beautiful black sand beaches.
All taxes and park fees
- The local guide prides themselves in providing an all-inclusive tour with no hidden costs. Please bring: walking shoes, sun hat, sunscreen, warm clothes just in case, swimming gear (in summer), and your camera. Tours require a minimum of 2 adults to operate. Please inquire for single passenger bookings.